A leader in technology and innovation, Southwire Company, LLC is one of North America's largest wire and cable producers. Southwire and its subsidiaries manufacture building wire and cable, metal-clad cable, portable and electronic cord products, OEM wire products and engineered products. In addition, Southwire supplies assembled products, contractor equipment and hand tools. We are proud to offer competitive compensation, employee benefits, tuition reimbursement, and unlimited growth opportunities. Our nearly seven decades of progressive growth can be attributed to our determination to developing innovative systems and solutions, exercising environmental stewardship and enhancing the wellbeing of our communities. How will you power what's possible?
The EHS Intern works within the Environmental Health and Safety Department to implement Southwire' s environmental health and safety programs and to ensure a positive, safe, healthy, and incident-free work environment. They will support EHS operations and all associates to foster a culture of zero injuries and ensure compliance.
Description of Roles and Responsibilities
- Conducting assessments related to jobs performed by associates through programs such as; Humantech Video ergonomics process, machine safeguarding reviews, review of pictorial/video work instructions, etc
- Working on projects to reduce our environmental footprint: recycling initiatives, educational campaigns for work & home.
- Support & develop EHS metrics including data collection & data entry
- Conducting inspections and audits
- Assisting with employee engagement activities
- Enforcing compliance of EHS programs
- Perform other duties, as assigned, in support of the EHS Continuum.
- Participating in company committees/activities outside of EHS responsibilities, such as Employee Resource Groups & Project GIFT.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- Working toward Bachelor's degree in engineering, science or other field or equivalent
- Desire to work within an environmental, health, and safety capacity in general industry
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and customer service skills with the ability to effectively communicate with and work well with others
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence people and drive change.
- Good organizational skills with a high consideration to detail.
- Must possess time management skills and have the ability to meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
Southwire is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.